This weekend has witnessed the disappointing sight of the entire Catholic press misreporting the news about the Soho Masses resulting in many usually well informed and astute Catholics believing that the Soho Masses have been stopped.
Will our Catholic journalists just read the statements issued by the Soho Masses Pastoral Council and its members that have been published and are widely available to see through the spin and report the truth – the Soho Masses have not been stopped.
Here’s a summary taken from SMPC and supporters, statements, blogs and emails:
- “The mass isn’t being closed, it is being moved to the Jesuit Farm Street Church. “. Fr Timothy Radcliffe OP.
- ‘Our only reservation regarding the transfer of base is that our title becomes somewhat of a misnomer, in that we shall be in Mayfair, rather than in Soho. However, given the value of the title Soho Masses we shall continue to use it.’ Soho Masses Pastoral Council.
- ‘Our congregation is emphatically not being “shut down”, as the opponents will claim, but simply being relocated. With that relocation will come significant opportunities for further growth and expansion.’ Terence Weldon.
- ‘I think his proposal is sound; it should shut down the arguments that have been put against us and yet allow us to continue to grow spiritually and strengthen our resolve for these masses. It doesn’t matter where we are housed. In fact, some of us have felt that we are ready to take our message to a wider public. The move to Farm Street will give us this opportunity.’ Wilbur Maxino, SMPC Youth Organiser email.
- ‘The opposition protesters were notable only by their absence. Presumably, they feel they can rest easy now, as their job is done. The notorious Soho Masses are to end. They are mistaken. Rumours of our death have been grossly exaggerated.’ Terence Weldon post about Soho Mass at Warwick Street on the Quest blog.
Protect the Pope comment: An appeal to The Catholic Herald and Catholic clergy bloggers: Please don’t be taken in by the spin, and report what’s really going on behind the transfer to Farm Street. Why aren’t you reporting that the Soho Masses Pastoral Council has not been disbanded? This is the Gordian knot that has not been cut.